Medication Therapy Management
Medication-related problems and medication mismanagement are a massive public health problem in the United States. Studies show that patients correctly retain only 14% of what their doctor tells them at the point of care. As a result, 20-30% of prescriptions are never filled, 70% of patients do not renew their prescriptions after the
first year, and up to 50% of patients prescribed a medication are non-adherent. According to the American Pharmacist Association, “There are an estimated 1.5 million
preventable adverse events each year that result in $177 billion in injury and death.” We believe integrating pharmacists into primary care can prevent avoidable healthcare costs by increasing patient adherence, optimizing prescription regimens, and preventing medication-related complications.
Medication Therapy Management is a custom service from clinical pharmacists at ECMC. The service links patients, providers, and pharmacists to comprehensively
manage chronic conditions and medications. It is designed to address avoidable, adverse events related to medication management, and aims to improve outcomes and
quality of life for patients as well as reduce the overall cost to their families and the healthcare system.
Who Can Benefit From MTM?
● Senior citizens
● Patients with chronic kidney disease at any stage
● Diabetic patients
● Patients with hypertension
● Chronic pain patients and patients with cardiovascular diseases
● Patients prescribed or interested in psychotropic medications
● Patients with more than five medications
How Do I Benefit from MTM?
● Full review of your medication treatment plan
● Reduce your out-of-pocket medication costs
● Find out possible side effects from prescribed medications
● Review lab results against each medication
● What medications are safe to take over the counter
● Organize daily medications, doses, and instructions
● Assist with proper use of medical devices (i.e. glucometers)
● Provide free educational materials and tools for each disease/medication