Here at Eastern Carolina Medical Center Pharmacy our patients are more than just a prescription. We are dedicated to providing the best care possible by taking an active role in your well being. Over 10 years ago, Dr. Vyas noticed patients not being able to get their medications due to prescription cost. Our physicians are passionate about serving their patients in a unique way that extends from diagnosis to treatment. Each prescription is reviewed to fit your health and cost needs. Here at Eastern Carolina Medical center Pharmacy we provide comprehensive personalized pharmacy services and innovative solutions to the communities we serve, so join us and become part of our family.
The clinical pharmacy staff is also responsible for several services, including:
- Treatment for major depression disorder (a REMS ® certified facility)
- Ensure medication adherence
- Medication Therapy Management
What We Offer at ECMC
- Medication delivery to your home or workplace
- Prepackaged “pill-boxed” medications for your convenience
- Same copay, better service
- Save money through manufacturer coupons
- Receive select medications at no out of pocket cost (click here for details)
- Quick and easy transfers of medications
- Access to a clinical pharmacist practitioner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Medication Therapy Management
ECMC Diabetes Center of Excellence.
Living with diabetes can be difficult experience. Why settle for surviving with diabetes when you can thrive! The ECMC Diabetes Center of Excellence’s diabetes education program is accredited by the ADCES. Our team of diabetes educators help patients develop practical strategies that make managing and maintaining diabetes realistic, easy, and enjoyable!
What We Offer
ECMC’s “Thriving with Diabetes Program” is available in an individual or group format to best suit your needs. Out team will work with you to create a lifestyle plan that helps you manage your blood sugars while still enjoying the foods and activities you love.
- These workshops may be covered by your insurance.
- Our coordinators will contact your insurance provider to verify your benefits.
- Affordable self-pay rate/free clinics available upon request.
- Remote patient monitoring – a diabetes educator with partner with you once per
month to discuss monthly blood sugar monitoring results.
- Stay up to date by visiting our Facebook Page.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to Diabetes. Learn the physiology of diabetes, how it affects your body, and how to monitor your blood sugar effectively. Gain an introductory knowledge into eating healthier and preventing complications.
- Eating for Health. A class devoted to meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking and TASTE TESTING! You will learn about proper selection of foods, and will be
equipped with new recipes that will increase energy, assist in weight management, and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Stress Management and Total Body Wellness. Learn and practice stress management techniques and how to promote wellness for your body and mind.
- Healthy Hearts and Preventing Complications. Dive further into healthy eating and total body wellness with a focus on heart health and exercise. In this class, you will also learn how to prevent diabetes complications.
- Healthy Holiday Tips. This special topic will address ways to maintain wellness throughout the holiday season. From seasonal recipes, movement ideas, and stress management skills, this class will prepare you for the busy seasons of life!
How the Program Works
Two out of three patients achieve an A1C less of than 7% within 3 months of starting the “Thriving with Diabetes” program.
- Discuss your medical history, current lifestyle habits, diabetes self-care behaviors and goals.
- Create an individualized learning plan with your dietitian for how to manage your diabetes and overall wellness.
- Learn the basics of diabetes, blood sugar monitoring and treatment options available to you.
- Review your food and blood sugar journals to learn your patterns.
- Learn how your daily eating habits compare with recommendations by participating in a nutritional analysis activity.
- Discuss carbohydrate counting, reading food labels, and strategies for dining out.
- Create an individualized meal plan tailored to your food preferences
- Practice meal planning and tips for eating healthier “on the go”
- Receive delicious and healthy recipes to match your meal plan
- Review your medications and how they work in your body
- This session may be provided by our clinical pharmacist, who can work with you to optimize your medication regimen
- Discuss additional vitamins, minerals and complementary and alternative medicine
- Learn how to prevent and treat low and high blood sugar and how to navigate sick days
- Find out how physical activity affects your blood sugar
- Create personalized physical activity goals
- Learn how to reduce your risk of cardiovascular, kidney, eye and nerve complications
- Learn how to care for your feet.
- Find out how stress affects your blood sugar
- Discuss problem-solving, motivation, stress management, and relaxation techniques, as well as strategies for increasing support from family, friends, healthcare providers, and the community
- Practice stress management techniques such as meditation or breathing exercises, if desired
- Behavioral wellness providers are available to assist with healthy coping and stress management, as needed
Post Program Support
Ongoing follow up sessions are recommended for accountability and additional coaching. We suggest committing to bi-weekly sessions with your dietitian (RDN) for optimal results.
What is the Cost?
Most health insurance plans cover this program provided by a licensed dietitian. In some cases, you may be eligible for unlimited benefits with no co-pay or deductible. Our Specialty Services Coordinators will call your insurance provider to verify your benefits and will alert you of any co-pays or fees, if applicable. Speak to your healthcare provider for a program referral or call the pharmacy at ECMC directly at 919-207-1027.
Eastern Carolina Medical Center is also the home of an APhA/ASHP Accredited Post Graduate Year 1 (PGY-1) Community Pharmacy Residency program. Our PGY-1 residents uphold ECMC’s standard of care by implementing pharmacist-led patient centered programs while finetuning their skills in diabetes education. For more information on our residency program, please click here.